Students can conduct original research or independent study under the guidance of a faculty member. Possibilities include study of an advanced or special topic, work as a research assistant, participation in a problem-solving seminar, and investigation of open problems as part of an honors project. To get started, a student should find a willing faculty member to help design and oversee the effort; the departmental honors advisor can help with this step. Course credit can be obtained through the numbers MATH 296, 690, 691H or 692H (see with the approval of the supervising faculty member, the Director of Undergraduate Studies (David Adalsteinsson;, and Hans Christianson (


Download the Independent Study Form here.

Download the Senior Honors Thesis Learning Contract here.