Skip Navigation
Increase font size
Decrease font size

    For Undergraduates

    The Undergraduate Mathematics Office is located in Phillips 356. This room is the office inside the Undergraduate Common Room (Phillips 354). Come and visit any time. The departmental Undergraduate Services Manager, Elizabeth Davidson, can answer any questions you might have regarding our program. To refer to the UNC Undergraduate Bulletin, click here.

    Fall 2016 Registration - A Prerequisite Announcement

    Summer School at Carolina:

    If you would like to take a MATH class at UNC-CH in the Fall 2016 whose prerequisite class (or classes) you plan to take during Summer 2016 at UNC-CH, please note that Connect Carolina will allow you to register yourself ONCE you successfully enroll in summer school.

    According to the Registrar’s Office,

    “Prerequisites are set to assume successful completion for any course in which a student is enrolled, but has not yet received a final grade. The student does need to enroll in the Summer course before Connect Carolina will allow them to enroll in the Fall course.”

    Summer School at other institutions:

    If you are planning to take a MATH class at UNC-CH in Fall 2016 whose prerequisite class (or classes) you are taking at any institution outside of UNC-CH, then you must wait until you successfully complete these classes and transfer them over to UNC-CH before you can enroll into the Fall MATH class.

    We, in the Department of Mathematics, are doing our best to open enough seats in MATH classes to accommodate those who enroll in late summer.

    Undergraduate Course Placement Information

    Find placement information, such as AP and IB credit.

    For information concerning transfer credit, contact Professor David Adalsteinsson.

    Getting into Closed Courses

    Find closed course information, such as use of a "Course Request Form (CRF)" here.  Specific instructions for completing the CRF will be posted here.

    You can find the Fall 2016 CRF here.

    Find information about a supplemental wait list for Math 231 and 232 only here.

    Majoring in Mathematics

    UNC-CH offers several degrees in mathematics and the mathematical sciences, providing students with a wide choice of careers in this field. Among the jobs in industry, government, and the academic world that involve mathematics as a central aspect are: actuary, stastistician, computer analyst, and educator. There are B.A. and B.S. degrees offered in Mathematics.

    If you are taking Math 110 (College Algebra) or Math 130 (Precalculus)

    These courses are taught in a new learning environment with a flexible approach to mastering the material.  Please read the important information about Math 110 and Math 130.

    The Mathematics Department offers walk-in and email assistance to undergraduates in Precalculus and Calculus courses in the Math Help Center. This facility usually opens the second week of the semester.

    Old Final Exams

    Old final exams are available for study.


    We do not maintain an online list of tutors. However, the most recent listing of tutors in Mathematics Department can be acquired in person from Sunny Oakley in the Mathematics Department main office in Phillips Hall.

    Independent Study

    Math 290, 396, or 690 may be taken for credit by a student working, under the direction of a faculty member, on a research project, honors project, or independent study of a special topic. A student wishing to sign up for one of these courses should design a plan in consultation with a faculty member who agrees to supervise the project and submit an independent study proposal on the form available here.  At this Undergraduate Curricula site one can also find a link to the university report that describes the rules for independent study courses.

    Research opportunities in Math and Science

    Study Abroad Opportunities

    News for Students from the American Mathematical Society

    Document Actions